In this tiny island

minsan kwela, minsan walang kabuluhan, minsan masaya, minsan malungkot, minsan magulo.... gusto ko lang iparating sa inyo ang nangyayari sa aking mundo.

Friday, April 01, 2005

Sporty (kuno!)

Two weeks ago, we did a 5K run/walk.

I started walking/jogging again maybe a month ago.

We play tennis every Tuesday. (for Roy, it's Tuesday and Thursday. - well, Thursday is my TV day)

Last Sunday, tried playing golf (but it looked more like cricket kasi di lumilipat mga bola namin - hahaha)

Bowling once in a while.

Naks, trying to get into all these sports. I guess that's one thing I never had the chance to try while I was in Manila. First, the lack of funds hindered me from getting into these 'expensive' sports. Second, all that Manila traffic!!! Who would want to travel 3 hours just to get to a tennis court or a golf course.

In Manila, one has to be a member of a country club in order to play golf or tennis. Here is our island, tennis courts abound. Some don't even charge a penny for you to play, but you do have to wait in line to get an available court. What we do is rent a court for $12/hr and just split it amongst friends. Sometimes, the hotel (owners of the court) allow us to play up to 2 hours, but only pay for 1.

As for golf, it was first the guys who played golf. A couple of weeks back, since I started regular exercise again, I decided to tag along and just walk through the course while they played. Then last Sunday, the wives decided not just to walk but to try hitting those golf balls. Like I said, it looked more like cricket or bowling, as the balls just rolled. Had we kept score, we might have gotten more than +100 for a 9-hole par-3 course. hahaha All these for the cost of $6 per game. We didn't even need to be a member of anything.

As for jogging, joining 5K run/walk costs around $5. But the goodies you get right after makes the $5 a good investment. hehehe But I can run for free. Just have to park the car somewhere, even near the beach and run there. Or just run around the neighborhood and pray that the dogs don't run after me.

In Manila, I used to swim regularly after work. But I had to be a member of the hotel. And I had to pay a lot to get the membership. With the limited income I had then, it really was a big burden on the pocket.

Golf, tennis... these sports are not just for the elite here. Anybody who wants to give it a try can definitely sink their teeth into it. At less cost... or even free...

Hmm, will try going to a driving range (golf) tonight and probably play another round of golf (or cricket/bowling) tomorrow. Just for fun!

4 Comments:

  • At 1:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    oh wow! you guys are busy! ako naman, i've recently joined an aqua aerobics class. Day! Pamatay! It really is hard work. I never thought it was possible to sweat while in water! Lots of groans for one hour pero carry! I do it with a friend and now we're moving from once a week to twice a week.

     
  • At 1:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    that's great, marie! i used to attend taekwondo classes but because some guy made a pass at me, di na ulit ako pumasok. now i just do yoga.

     
  • At 5:43 AM, Blogger Joy said…

    it's nice you have all those options for exercise. right now, I'm just a gym person. that's all i can afford, in terms of time.

     
  • At 6:15 AM, Blogger [Amod] said…

    wow 5 km walk really matters!! u'll lose weight :p
    way 2 bcome a true islandgirl!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home